Monday 24 September 2012

Reading Reflection #3


Book:  An Abundance Of Katherines
Author: John Green
Pages read: 1-145

This week I read a book by one of my favourite authors. At first I thought that since I loved his other books, I should like this one. To be honest, This book was a bit dull compared to Paper Towns. I found that Paper Towns had a lot more action and more things added to the story. I felt that this book was lacking something but I had no idea what it was. Perhaps the lack of mystery added to my bore of this book.

In this book, It’s about a child prodigy named Colin (or, Colon Cancer as called by many people). He’s only ever dated girls named Katherine. “Not Katies or Kats or Kitties or Cathys or Rynns or Trinas or Kays or Kates or, God forbid, Catherines. K-A-T-H-E-R-I-N-E” (quote taken from book, page 15. John Green, An Abundance Of Katherines,  2006) which made me question why he only chose to date girls named Katherine. I mean, it seems like it would be difficult to find 19 different girls named Katherine. But no, Colin has done it. He’s dated 19 different girls named Katherine. He only ever describes the latest Katherine and he’s still so hurt over her. It gave me the question; Why is he only dating Katherines? Does something important come from it? Does it signify something to him? Surely he’d find some other girls appealing, Ones that aren’t named Katherine. The answer is explained later that he just wanted to keep his Katherine streak alive after he dated one for a week when he was 8.

One prediction I stumbled upon while reading was that Lindsay (a girl Colin has met on a roadtrip) will finally break his Katherine streak. I feel that this prediction will come true because Colin seems to have a liking for her but doesn’t realize it. Much like Colin, Lindsay has only ever dated one guy. And his name is Colin. I predict that something will happen in between two of the characters that causes Lindsay to break up with TOC (The Other Colin, name given to him by Colin and Hassan).  He seems untrustworthy and only in the relationship for sex or other intimate gestures. I see him like that because whenever he is with Lindsay, they always seem to do something in front of Colin and the others that shouldn't be done in public.

Thank you for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment