Monday 5 November 2012

Reading Reflection #8; Salem's Lot


Book: Salems Lot
Author: Stephen King
Pages read: 1-229

This week, I read Salem’s Lot by Stephen King. I had this recommended to me by a friend because I’ve been trying to get into Stephen King books.  

The way the book is written was a bit confusing to me, it changes from different point of views and whatever happens in their point of view does not seem to pertain to what we had just read with the last point of view. I really like the main character, Ben Mears. He’s an author and he seems to be very mysterious because he always seems to have something to hide, whether it’d be from Susan or any other character.

I’m enjoying the plot line so far, a part that really hit me was when Danny Glick dies and his dad tells him to stop joking around and to get up. It really made me think. How bad is it to have to bury your own child? Shouldn’t it be the other way around? I mean, how does it feel to watch your own son or daughter being lowered into the ground? Devastating is what I believe it should feel. But I wouldn’t know the feeling, nor do I ever want to. It’s terrible to have to have that happen to you. I had a text to world connection with this and Lord of the Rings. It’s a scene where there was a battle and someone’s son perishes in the bloody battle and he sits on the hill, weeping and crying about how terrible it is have to bury his own son.

I have a prediction in this book, in the prologue it’s told that someone buys the Marsten house and is driving a peculiar car. It then opens up to Ben Mears driving around in his fancy car. I believe that in the prologue that it's Ben and Danny Glick who purchased the Marsten house for whatever reason it stands to be. I have no idea what will come next but I am for sure enjoying this book so far

2 comments:

  1. "The way the book is written was a bit confusing to me, it changes from different point of views and whatever happens in their point of view does not seem to pertain to what we had just read with the last point of view"

    Interesting comment! Why do you think the author does this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ms.Mchlauchlan!
    I believe that Stephen King does this just to develop the story a bit more and to keep the reader reading the book.

    ReplyDelete